For homeowners, installing a new roof does more than boost the architectural appeal of a home. It also protects the occupants and their personal belongings from severe elements such as hail and snow. It does so through a series of roof components that operate hand in hand to increase the performance of a roof. In this article, one of the leading roofing contractors in Knoxville breaks down the six components of an asphalt shingle roof.
- Asphalt shingles provide the fundamental water-shedding surface of the roof and create the unique, charming look that sets your home apart from other structures in the neighborhood.
- The underlayment is a water-resistant or waterproof material installed onto the roof deck. It acts as a barrier between the shingles and wood deck, serving as an additional layer of protection from elements such as rain, snow and wind.
- Ice and water barriers are responsible for protecting the vulnerable parts of a roof where water can flow and infiltrate the roofing system. Some regions that are prone to leaks are valleys, chimneys and other roof protrusions.
- Starter strip products are critical for correct asphalt shingle roof replacement. They provide the first row of sealant required to stave off shingle blow-offs and water penetration.
- Hip and ridge products complement the main layer of asphalt shingles and act as the finishing touch of the entire roof installation.
- A proper ventilation system in the roof allows moist, stale air to escape from the attic and lets fresh, cool air in. It also helps eliminate ice damming and prevents premature shingle failure by maintaining the temperature in the attic space close to the outside temperature.
For top-rated roof repair and roof replacement in Knoxville, TN, and surrounding cities, turn to Barnett Roofing. Our certified roofers are committed to providing the comfort and efficiency you deserve through industry-leading products and outstanding customer service. Call us today at (916) 678-9786 or fill out our contact form to request a free, no-obligation estimate.
Leave a Reply